PhD, Literature and Cultural Studies, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, 05/17
MA, English Literature, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY, 12/08
BA, Literature, Magna Cum Laude, Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, NY, 05/06
BA, Communication Studies, Magna Cum Laude, Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, NY 05/06
- “Woolf and Zitkala-Sa: Subjectivity and Nationalism.” Article. Virginia Woolf Miscellany. Special Issue on Woolf and Indigenous Literatures. (Forthcoming Fall 2017).
- “‘Beyond the Door’: Faulkner’s Sanctuary and Architectural Envelopment.” Article. Modernism/modernity. (Revise and Resubmit).
- “Rhythmic and Depthless Architectures in Joyce and Tóibín.” Article. (Revise and Resubmit).
- “Southern City Mysteries and the Sexual Economy of Genre.” Article. NOVEL: A Forum on Fiction. (Under Review).
- “The Code of Mad Men: Emotional Labor, Schizophrenia and the Computer Age.” Article. The Journal of Popular Culture. April 2017. Volume 50, Issue 2, pp. 341-62.
- “‘An Austere, Whispering Power’: An Interview with Colm Tóibín.” Article and Interview. Michigan Quarterly Review. (Under review).
- “Selon Marta Nijhuis and Mauro Carbone: Screens, Surfaces, and Shadows.” The Ocean State Review. (Forthcoming fall 2017).
Works in Progress
- “Kierkegaard’s Shirt, János’ Magyarische Sagen, and Infinite Resignation.” Article.
- English Translation of János Majláth’s “Erzsi die Spinnerin,” Magyarische Sagen, Marchen Und Erzahlungen, Translation. (To be submitted to Folklore).
- “Kafka’s Marionette Drawings, Primitive Form, and Pictorial Language Systems.” Article. (To be submitted to Oxford Art Journal).
- “Rilke’s ‘Soundless Senses’: Sound and Reproduction in The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge.” Article. (To be submitted to Modernism/modernity).
- On the Threshold: Transitional Architectures in the Modern Novel. Proposals under review at MIT and Columbia University Presses.
- Architecture, Power, Narrative. Edited Collection. Proposal in conference with several prospective contributors.
- “Achan.” Short Story. Michigan Quarterly Review. (Under Review).
- “The Man Takes His Time.” New England Review. (Under Review).
- “Once I Ran for You.” Virginia Quarterly Review. (Under Review)
- “Hypnotist Collector.” Short Story. Hotel Amerika. Volume 14. (Published Fall 2016).
- LCS 121 Introduction to Literary Studies (1): Fall 2017
Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI
- ILS 2090 The Working Life (1): Fall 2017
- ENG 1020 College Composition (1): Fall 2017
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- GWS 220 Women and Natural Science (2 Online), Teaching Assistant: Summer
2017 & 2016
- ENG 205B Creative Writing: Fiction (1 section): Spring 2017
- ENG 243 The Short Story: Southern Short Fiction (4): Spring 2016-Fall 2016
- ENG 160 World Literature: 20th Century Fiction/Global Spaces (2 sections): Fall
- ENG 110 Introduction to Literature: Modernism (1): Fall 2014
- WRT 104 Writing to Inform and Explain (3): Fall 2013-Spring 2014
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
- Writing Seminar Online (1): Summer 2013
Taught writing principles, engaged student conversation and facilitated
peer review using Desire2Learn course management system
- Writing Seminar (12 sections): Fall 2010-Spring 2013
Monroe Community College, Rochester, NY
- ENG 101 College Composition (15): Fall 2009-Spring 2013
- ENG 105 Introduction to Literature (4): Fall 2010-Spring 2013
- ENG 200 Advanced Composition (1): Fall 2011
Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, NY
- Principles of Writing (4): Fall 2009-Spring 2010
- LIT 101 Introduction to Literature (4): Fall 2010-Spring 2011
Vincennes University, Vincennes, IN, distance course taught to Rochester Coast Guard
- ENG 101: Composition (1): Summer 2010
SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY
- ENG 102 College Composition (1): Fall 2008
Courses in Special Topics
- Arts of Expression, Mythology: Creation Myths and Human-Divine Relations (4): Fall 2011- Spring 2013, RIT
- ENG 237 Ethnicity and Cultural Difference in Literature, Teaching Assistant: Spring 2008, SUNY Oswego
Writing Tutor, Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, NY (September 2005- May 2006)
Awards and Grants
- Rhode Island Council for the Humanities Grant, NEH affiliate. Full endowment. April 2017.
- Excellence in Teaching Award. English Department. URI, April 2017.
- First place winner, The Nancy Potter Short Story Contest, Graduate Division. “The Man Takes His Time.” English Department. URI, April 2017.
- Hope and Heritage Travel Grant. URI, September 2016
- Excellence in Teaching Award. English Department. URI, April 2016.
- First place winner, The Nancy Potter Short Story Contest, Graduate Division. “Achan.” English Department. URI, April 2016.
- Hope and Heritage Travel Grant. URI, September 2015.
- John W. Hunt Memorial/Faulkner Journal The William Faulkner Society, July 2015.
- Excellence in Service Award. English Department. URI, April 2015.
- First place winner, The Nancy Potter Short Story Contest, Graduate Division. “Hypnotist Collector.” English Department. URI, April 2015.
- Hope and Heritage Travel Grant. URI, May 2015.
- Center for the Humanities Graduate Research Grant. Dissertation chapter, “Faulkner’s Phenomenology: ‘Lived’ Spaces in Fictive Southern Architecture.” URI, Spring 2015.
- Decker Award, Best Student Essay, “Insight and Intrigue: The Man of Law’s Tale.” Roberts Wesleyan College, Spring 2005.
- “Kafka Inspects from the Outside: The Joy of Mechanics in ” Phenomenology and the Arts Today. The University of Rhode Island, April 2017.
- “A Portrait of the Writer as a Philosopher.” Introducer and Moderator for Keynote Speaker, Rudolf Bernet. Forty-first Annual International Merleau-Ponty Circle Conference. St. Catharines, ON, Canada, September 2016.
- “Everett’s I Am Not Sidney Poitier: The Excess and Exhibition of Southern Place.” The Society for the Study of Southern Literature, Boston, March 2016.
- “‘That Strange Threshold’: Faulkner’s Doorways to Being.” English Department Speaker Series, The University of Rhode Island, February 2016.
- “The Mysteries of Memphis: Sanctuary and the Pornographic Tradition.” Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha Conference, Oxford, MS, July 2015.
- “Rilke’s ‘Soundless Senses’: Sound and Reproduction in The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge.” Northeast Modern Language Association, Toronto, ON, May 2015.
- “Woolf Performs ‘Parrhesia’: Art and Freedom Between the Acts.” Northeast Modern Language Association, Toronto, ON, May 2015.
- Facilitated workshop discussion for Percival Everett’s I Am Not Sidney Poitier. Ocean State Summer Writers Conference, Kingston, RI, June 2014.
- “Between the Acts: Historical Ontology and the (Im)possible ‘Now.’” University of Rhode Island Graduate Conference, Kingston, RI, April 2014.
- Book fair display for the Ocean State Review and Barrow Street. Association for Writers and Writing Programs. Washington State Convention Center, Seattle, WA, February 2014.
- “Individual Erasure and Symbol Creation: Implications of Dialogue between Derrida and Wittgenstein.” Paul Lucas History Conference, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2008.
- “The Religious Ideas of Rainer Maria Rilke.” (presented my translation and review of scholarship) QUEST conference, Oswego, NY, 2008.
- “Kafka on Trial: A Burkean Read.” Eastern Communications Association, Philadelphia, PA, 2006.
Editing and Administrative Experience
Manuscript Editor, Karen Stein, English Department, URI (July 2017, 2016)
- Edited bibliography and researched interviews for Adrienne Rich book
Research Assistant, Galen Johnson, Philosophy Department, URI (October 2016- December 2017)
- Edit select chapters for Poets/Poetics manuscript
- Edited articles and provide supplementary research
- Organized and coordinated conference, “Phenomenology and the Arts Today,” April 2017
- Wrote proposal materials for RICH grant, won full $2000 endowment
Annual Report Editor, Provost’s Office, SUNY Oswego (June 2008- August 2008)
- Collected and organized professional accomplishments of faculty, staff and students into a bibliography
- Edited and arranged entries into a comprehensive, consistent format
Graduate Assistant, Office of Learning Services, SUNY Oswego (September 2007- May 2008)
- Organized and assigned tutors of all subjects to students in need of services
- Managed tutoring process between coordinators and participants
BOA Editions Intern, BOA Editions, Ltd., Rochester, NY (January 2006- August 2007)
- Edited poetry manuscripts at various stages and created fliers for book orders
- Designed press kits containing poet biographies and organized sales materials
Professional Service and Development
URI Graduate Student Blog Contributor
- “The Job Market: An Interview with Amy Foley.” Contributed March 2017
- “Graduate Student Spotlight: Amy Foley.” Contributed fall 2016
- “Perspectives on Preparing for Comprehensive Exams.” Contributed summer 2016
Graduate Student Association, Senator, spring 2016
English Department Speaker Series, Introducer for Stephen Barber, fall 2015
General Education Initiative contributor, summer 2015
ENG 999, Teaching Literature Training, TA Mentor, 2015-2017
- Prepare materials and engage students in critical invention and reflection activities for three-day summer workshop and monthly fall meetings
- Provide written feedback of TA classroom observations, conference with TAs and provide individual support
Graduate Student Writing Group, Member, spring 2015
URI Graduate Conference, Keynote Speaker Introducer, spring 2015
URI Graduate Conference, Panel moderator, spring 2015
- “Exploring Germany’s 20th Century Political, Religious and Cultural Pathways.”
- “Suburbs, Roads and Terroirs—Francophone Identities Grounded.”
URI Graduate Conference, Committee Member, spring 2015
Graduate Liaison, English Department, 2014-15
- Attended departmental meetings, hosted and corresponded with prospective graduate students
ENG 510, Professional Development course, Guest Speaker, fall 2014
- Engaged incoming graduate students in discussion on forming committees and comprehensive exams
Ocean State Summer Writing Conference, Committee Member, 2014
University of Rhode Island English Department Blog, Contributor
- “Laura Doan on Collective Memory and Alan Turing: ‘Speaking on the Uses of the Sexual Past: History, Sexuality and Memory.’” Contributed spring 2014
Ocean State Review, Marketing Manager, 2013-14
- Maintained blog and Facebook page for OSR by writing articles, posting news events and photos
- Photographer for all related events: readings, conference at AWP, Ocean State Summer Writing Conference
Information Literacy Assessment Initiative in Gen Ed (URI), fall 2013
- Incorporated literacy rubric into writing course
- Recorded, evaluated and reported student use of information literacy within argumentative assignment
Writing Program Assessment (RIT), summer 2013, fall 2010
- Evaluated writing portfolios and participated in pedagogical workshops
- Contributed to assessment research to be published by writing directors